[lxc-users] bionic image not getting IPv4 address

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Thu May 3 03:53:07 UTC 2018

On 2018-05-03 12:14, David Favor wrote:
> Mark Constable wrote:
>>
>> If you do a "lxc profile show default" you will probably find it
>> doesn't
>> have an IPv4 network attached by default. I haven't yet found a simple
>> step by step howto example of how to setup a network for v3.0 but in
>> my
>> case I use a bridge on my host and create a new profile that
>> includes...
>>
>> lxc network attach-profile lxdbr0 [profile name] eth0
>>
>> then when I manually launch a container I use something like...
>>
>> lxc launch images:ubuntu-core/16 uc1 -p [profile name]
>
> Be aware there is a bug in Bionic packaging, so if you upgrade
> machine level OS from any previous OS version to Bionic, LXD
> networking becomes broken... so badly... no Ubuntu or LXD developer
> has figured out a fix.
>
> To avoid this, move all containers off the machine... via...
>
>    lxc stop
>    lxc copy local:cname offsite:cname
>
> Then do a fresh Bionic install at machine level. Then install
> LXD via SNAP (which is only LXD install option on Bionic).
>
> Once done, you're good to go... Just ensure...

I'm having an issue with *new* (2018-May-02 onwards) bionic containers
not getting IPv4 addresses.
Bionic containers created before 2018-May-02 are getting IPv4 just fine.

Here is how I launch *new* bionic containers:

lxc launch images:ubuntu/bionic/amd64 bionictest

Just try it yourself and see if this container is getting an IPv4
address.

> 1) You've setup routes for all your IP ranges to lxcbr0.

All routes are fine.

> 2) You've added your IPV4 address to one of...
>
>    /etc/netplan/*
>    /etc/network/interfaces

I'm talking about DHCP, not a static IP address.

Tomasz Chmielewski
https://lxadm.com