[lxc-users] bionic image not getting IPv4 address

David Favor david at davidfavor.com
Thu May 3 03:14:21 UTC 2018

Mark Constable wrote:
> On 5/3/18 12:42 PM, Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
>>> Today or yesterday, bionic image launched in LXD is not getting an IPv4
>>> address. It is getting an IPv6 address.
>
> If you do a "lxc profile show default" you will probably find it doesn't
> have an IPv4 network attached by default. I haven't yet found a simple
> step by step howto example of how to setup a network for v3.0 but in my
> case I use a bridge on my host and create a new profile that includes...
>
> lxc network attach-profile lxdbr0 [profile name] eth0
>
> then when I manually launch a container I use something like...
>
> lxc launch images:ubuntu-core/16 uc1 -p [profile name]

Be aware there is a bug in Bionic packaging, so if you upgrade
machine level OS from any previous OS version to Bionic, LXD
networking becomes broken... so badly... no Ubuntu or LXD developer
has figured out a fix.

To avoid this, move all containers off the machine... via...

    lxc stop
    lxc copy local:cname offsite:cname

Then do a fresh Bionic install at machine level. Then install
LXD via SNAP (which is only LXD install option on Bionic).

Once done, you're good to go... Just ensure...

1) You've setup routes for all your IP ranges to lxcbr0.

2) You've added your IPV4 address to one of...

    /etc/netplan/*
    /etc/network/interfaces

Very simple.