[lxc-users] would there be value in starting an LXD community online collection of how-to related information

Stéphane Graber stgraber at ubuntu.com
Tue May 30 02:50:04 UTC 2017

On Tue, May 30, 2017 at 11:57:24AM +1000, Mark Constable wrote:
> On 30/05/17 10:17, Luis Michael Ibarra wrote:
> > For now we have discussions, Core dev blogs, github *md files, lxd
> > wiki, etc. Shouldn't be useful to have an official documentation
> > channel?
> I lean towards an independent option so along those lines this is one
> possibly crazy suggestion, FWIW...
>
> - someone register linuxcontainers.wiki (~$30/yr)
> - start with a 1GB DigitalOcean droplet
> - optionally start a patreon.com project to fund the above
> - install Wordpress to easily manage user accounts
> - install some plugins like...
>   - https://wordpress.org/plugins/yada-wiki/
>   - https://wordpress.org/plugins/github-embed/
>   - https://wordpress.org/plugins/asgaros-forum/
>   - https://wordpress.org/plugins/jetpack-markdown/
>   - https://wordpress.org/plugins/wordpress-social-login/
>
> Use WP to mainly manage users and host the plugins but any site pages
> can also be easily managed and of course the blog part could be used
> for "latest news" and "featured articles". The lightweight forum could
> be used for meta discussion and of course the wiki plugin is just that.
> The github-embed plugin can provide feedback on various Github projects
> and the social-login plugin mostly avoids having to specifically signup
> to yet-another-blog-site to get directly involved with the wiki.
>
> I could set all of this up in about 15 minutes but it's a complete waste
> of my time unless other folks actually wanted to use it.

Can't https://discuss.linuxcontainers.org be used for most of that?

It's self-moderated (to an extent), already has a number of howtos,
posts can be tagged and turned into wikis as needed (not a full wiki but
it means anyone with a particular trust-level can edit/contribute).

Ultimately what most people follow for documentation is the website, but
we already do maintain a pretty length list of links there and certainly
wouldn't have any problem linking to more sources (which you can do
today by forking the website on Github and sending a pull request).

--
Stéphane Graber
Ubuntu developer