[lxc-users] would there be value in starting an LXD community online collection of how-to related information

Rick Leir rleir at leirtech.com
Tue May 30 07:05:52 UTC 2017

On 2017-05-29 10:50 PM, Stéphane Graber wrote:
> On Tue, May 30, 2017 at 11:57:24AM +1000, Mark Constable wrote:
>> On 30/05/17 10:17, Luis Michael Ibarra wrote:
>>> For now we have discussions, Core dev blogs, github *md files, lxd
>>> wiki, etc. Shouldn't be useful to have an official documentation
>>> channel?
>> I lean towards an independent option so along those lines this is one
>> possibly crazy suggestion, FWIW...
>>
>> - someone register linuxcontainers.wiki (~$30/yr)
>> - start with a 1GB DigitalOcean droplet
>> - optionally start a patreon.com project to fund the above
>> - install Wordpress to easily manage user accounts
>> - install some plugins like...
>>    - https://wordpress.org/plugins/yada-wiki/
>>    - https://wordpress.org/plugins/github-embed/
>>    - https://wordpress.org/plugins/asgaros-forum/
>>    - https://wordpress.org/plugins/jetpack-markdown/
>>    - https://wordpress.org/plugins/wordpress-social-login/
>>
>> Use WP to mainly manage users and host the plugins but any site pages
>> can also be easily managed and of course the blog part could be used
>> for "latest news" and "featured articles". The lightweight forum could
>> be used for meta discussion and of course the wiki plugin is just that.
>> The github-embed plugin can provide feedback on various Github projects
>> and the social-login plugin mostly avoids having to specifically signup
>> to yet-another-blog-site to get directly involved with the wiki.
>>
>> I could set all of this up in about 15 minutes but it's a complete waste
>> of my time unless other folks actually wanted to use it.
> Can't https://discuss.linuxcontainers.org be used for most of that?
>
> It's self-moderated (to an extent), already has a number of howtos,
> posts can be tagged and turned into wikis as needed (not a full wiki but
> it means anyone with a particular trust-level can edit/contribute).
>
> Ultimately what most people follow for documentation is the website, but
> we already do maintain a pretty length list of links there and certainly
> wouldn't have any problem linking to more sources (which you can do
> today by forking the website on Github and sending a pull request).

Yes, agreed on linuxcontainers.org <https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/LXC>,
and the Fedora folks can get info onto fedoraproject.org/wiki/,
hopefully linked to the LXC page. It is not _wide_ open for
contributors, but almost so. This would be just for RHEL related issues,
and hopefully the Fedora folks would contribute general LXC info to
linuxcontainers.org. <https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/LXC>
cheers -- Rick