[lxc-users] LXD launch fails

Stéphane Graber stgraber at ubuntu.com
Wed May 17 02:49:42 UTC 2017

On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 05:59:19PM -0700, CLOSE Dave wrote:
> Trying to run LXD on Fedora (25) using instructions from
> <https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/ganto/lxd/>:
>
>    # dnf copr enable ganto/lxd
>    # dnf install lxd lxd-client lxd-tools
>    # usermod -a -G lxd <user>
>    # echo "root:1000000:65536" >> /etc/subuid
>    # echo "root:1000000:65536" >> /etc/subgid
>    # systemctl enable lxd && systemctl start lxd
>    # lxd init
>    $ lxc image list images:
>    $ lxc launch images:fedora/24
>
> Instructions modified to handle the company proxy per
> <https://insights.ubuntu.com/2016/03/16/lxd-2-0-installing-and-configuring-lxd-212/>:
>
>    # lxc config set core.proxy_http http://squid01.internal:3128
>    # lxc config set core.proxy_https http://squid01.internal:3128
>    # lxc config set core.proxy_ignore_hosts image-server.local
>
> (All values shown per the original pages. I modified them to use a valid
> user name and the correct local proxy.)
>
> Everything works /except/ the launch command. I can list the images
> available so I'm getting through the proxy and accessing the correct
> site. But the launch reports,

You could try:

    lxc image export images:fedora/25

Which should use more of the same URLs that launch will.

>    $ lxc launch images:fedora/25
>    Creating joint-hamster
>    Retrieving image: metadata: 100% (1.80GB/s)
>    error: Unable to fetch https://images.linuxcontainers.org/images/fedora
>      /25/amd64/default/20170505_02:42/rootfs.tar.xz:
>      503 Service Unavailable

> Is the service actually running (I've seen this result for 24 hours)? Am
> I making some other mistake?

That error isn't coming from us. The image servers behind
images.linuxcontainers.org are two static apache2 servers which are
incapable of returning a 503 error :)

That suggests that your company's proxy server is being unhappy about
downloading the rootfs.tar.xz tarball (but not the metadata one
somehow).

--
Stéphane Graber
Ubuntu developer