[lxc-users] would there be value in starting an LXD community online collection of how-to related information

Stéphane Graber stgraber at ubuntu.com
Fri Jan 13 21:25:46 UTC 2017

On Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 09:29:59PM +0200, Moe wrote:
> Here is my opinion on it:
>
> 1) We do need documentation, especially tutorials. Lots and lots of
> tutorials and how-tos . LXD and Docker compete in different niches, but
> LXD can easily do what Docker does (and sometimes better in certain
> situations) and part of the reason that Docker is used so much is
> because of the volume of articles/tutorials for setting it up in
> production scenarios.

That's definitely true and I've been spending a good chunk of my spare
time writing a number of blog posts about LXD to try and improve that.

We need to do a better job at keeping the "articles" page on the site up
to date and in turning the most relevant of those articles into actual
documentation pages on the website where they'd be easy to find.

Website visitors tend to loose interest very quickly, so the less they
need to click to get started and get hooked, the better.

One thing that's been helping us a lot is our online demo, but I need to
spend some time improving some part of it to make it even easier for
people to use.

> 2) I agree with the poster who mentioned that the archive is not
> searchable (but should be IMO). Is there some way to make it a
> searchable archive? I understand that there are software-tools that
> allow the conversion of mail-archives into a forum-like appearance, so
> that might help

mailman 2.x itself doesn't do that. mailman 3.x might but the migration
isn't particularly straightforward and would, among other things break
every single existing archive URL...

Google does a very good job at indexing the mailing-list archive and
there are a number of websites which offer search of lxc-users, like:
https://www.mail-archive.com/lxc-users@lists.linuxcontainers.org/

> 3) Instead of re-creating what appears on Reddit, why don't we just add
> a link to Reddit for anyone visiting the LXD-section of the LXC website?
> I am asking this instead of making a commit to the site-code because
> this is an Ubuntu-supported product and *maybe* linking to reddit is not
> what the project-maintainers want

I'm fine with having an extra link in the "External resources" part of
the LXD menu on the website.

--
Stéphane Graber
Ubuntu developer