[lxc-users] would there be value in starting an LXD community online collection of how-to related information

Guido Jäkel G.Jaekel at DNB.DE
Wed Jan 18 17:15:06 UTC 2017

> Here is my opinion on it:
>
> 1) We do need documentation, especially tutorials. Lots and lots of
> tutorials and how-tos . LXD and Docker compete in different niches, but
> LXD can easily do what Docker does (and sometimes better in certain
> situations) and part of the reason that Docker is used so much is
> because of the volume of articles/tutorials for setting it up in
> production scenarios.
>
> 2) I agree with the poster who mentioned that the archive is not
> searchable (but should be IMO). Is there some way to make it a
> searchable archive? I understand that there are software-tools that
> allow the conversion of mail-archives into a forum-like appearance, so
> that might help

Dear all,

I ask about such some years before. But in my opinion, a typical forum is not much better than list mail -- I would suggest to present all the community information as a Wiki space or something in that way!

Because to my (mostly bad) experiences, in a forum the information is spread around in different threads. And you have to read through pages of statements to extract the "core" and/or "head" of information. In a typical Wiki, you'll get the most up-to-date information on the main page, you may use an history to extract changes and there might be a comment feature enabled for discussions. And a typical wiki engine would allow to search in a full-text-index, of corse.

I think, one important topic for HowTo's is around networking. This is because LXC/LXD (and others) become more and more easy to use. This is a great success, but in the other hand it attract more and more users with a lower level of basic skills.

To promote LXC, a section with success stories would be great, too.

Grüße

Guido