[lxc-users] migrated to 2.9 but container gives "error: No storage pool specified"

Stéphane Graber stgraber at ubuntu.com
Sat Feb 18 19:18:47 UTC 2017

On Sat, Feb 18, 2017 at 08:05:52PM +0100, Sjoerd wrote:
> I just migrated from lxd 2.8 to 2.9, but something screwed up.
> Couldn't figure out what, but needed it up and running again, so destroyed
> al zfs datasets and started clean. So far so good. Then I started to move
> containers from another (working) LXD host to the fresh one, but it gave me
> the error "error: No storage pool specified" and now is stuck showing an
> ERROR in the lxc list output:
>
> +------+-------+------+------+------------+-----------+
> | NAME | STATE | IPV4 | IPV6 |    TYPE    | SNAPSHOTS |
> +------+-------+------+------+------------+-----------+
> | vpn  | ERROR |      |      | PERSISTENT |           |
> +------+-------+------+------+------------+-----------+
>
> I looked at the profiles in use for this one and indeed in the privileged
> profile I used for the above, there wasn't any disk defined, so I added the
> default profile on the working host and moved the container again with a
> different name (otherwise I get the message that it already exists). That
> worked fine, but now I am stuck with the vpn container above which I can't
> remove with a "lxc delete vpn", cause it results in the error :
>
> error: No storage pool specified.
>
> Anyone who has a clue how to get rid of it, please let me know...
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Cheers,
> Sjoerd

Copy between varying LXD versions seems to not have been as tested as it
should have been... We'll look into this next week and get it sorted out.

Until then, assuming your storage pool is called "default" (see "lxc storage list"):

    lxc config device set vpn root pool default

That should fix the pool issue you got.

--
Stéphane Graber
Ubuntu developer