[lxc-users] Graceful Shutdown/Reboot

Brett 11 open_side111 at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 9 16:10:04 UTC 2017

On Thu, 2017-02-09 at 15:53 +0000, Brett 11 wrote:
> On Thu, 2017-02-09 at 11:32 +0300, Marat Khalili wrote:
> > You are right, I was jumping to conclusions about "all sane
> > distributions". Did you verify that lxc-stop shuts your container
> > correctly? Because according to my quick google search they
> > actually
> > recommend to specify different signal in lxc.haltsignal for
> > containers
> > that don't understand SIGPWR from LXC.
> >

> > --
> >
> > With Best Regards,
> > Marat Khalili

> Thanks Marat! This is definitely interesting. I found a bug report
> http
> s://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=831691 that says the
> haltsignal has been changed to default as SIGRTMIN+3. However the
> chain
> of action to halt a container is pretty convoluted and this doesn't
> appear changed on my up to date Debian Stretch.
>
> I do see 'lxc-stop' being executed when I 'systemctl stop lxc at NAME.se
> rv
> ice' but your suggestion that 'lxc-stop' doesn't cleanly/gracefully
> shutdown/halt containers leaves me worried.
>
> I guess for now I am going to try to replace SIGPWR in my container
> '.service' file with the recommended SIGRTMIN+3. Do you think this
> would be a proper solution? And thanks again for bringing this to my
> attention.
>
> Brett

Just a quick update here. After changing the SIGPWR to SIGRTMIN+3 in my
systemd service file seems to properly shut the container down. I'm
still just a little confused why that is supposed to be the default but
clearly isn't.

Either way I hope this helps someone else, and although LXC is
prctically my favorite thing about Linux and I thank the developers
infinitely; maybe something can be changed to make containers a little
easier to start and stop properly by default. Because if LXC by default
pulls the proverbial power cable from your SQL server, people might not
give it a fair chance..

Thanks,
Brett