[lxc-users] Graceful Shutdown/Reboot

Brett 11 open_side111 at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 9 15:53:30 UTC 2017

On Thu, 2017-02-09 at 11:32 +0300, Marat Khalili wrote:
> You are right, I was jumping to conclusions about "all sane
> distributions". Did you verify that lxc-stop shuts your container
> correctly? Because according to my quick google search they actually
> recommend to specify different signal in lxc.haltsignal for containers
> that don't understand SIGPWR from LXC.
>

> --
>
> With Best Regards,
> Marat Khalili

Thanks Marat! This is definitely interesting. I found a bug report http
s://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=831691 that says the
haltsignal has been changed to default as SIGRTMIN+3. However the chain
of action to halt a container is pretty convoluted and this doesn't
appear changed on my up to date Debian Stretch.

I do see 'lxc-stop' being executed when I 'systemctl stop lxc at NAME.serv
ice' but your suggestion that 'lxc-stop' doesn't cleanly/gracefully
shutdown/halt containers leaves me worried.

I guess for now I am going to try to replace SIGPWR in my container
'.service' file with the recommended SIGRTMIN+3. Do you think this
would be a proper solution? And thanks again for bringing this to my
attention.

Brett