[lxc-users] discuss.linuxcontainers.org experiment

Stéphane Graber stgraber at ubuntu.com
Tue Apr 25 17:50:19 UTC 2017

Hey there,

We know that not everyone enjoys mailing-lists and searching through
mailing-list archives and would rather use a platform that's dedicated
to discussion and support.

We don't know exactly how many of you would prefer using something like
that instead of the mailing-list or how many more people are out there
who would benefit from such a platform.

But we're giving it a shot and will see how things work out over the
next couple of months. If we see little interest, we'll just kill it off
and revert to using just the lxc-users list. If we see it take off, we
may start recommending it as the preferred place to get support and
discuss LXC/LXD/LXCFS.

The new site is at: https://discuss.linuxcontainers.org

We support both Github login as well as standalone registration, so that
should make it easy for anyone interested to be able to post questions
and content.

The site is configured to self-moderate, so active users who post good
content and help others will automatically get more privileges. That
should let the community shape how this space works rather than have me
and the core team babysit it :)

Discourse (the engine we use for this) supports notifications by e-mail
as well as responses and topic creation by e-mail. So for those of you
who don't like dealing with web stuff, you can tweak the e-mail settings
in your account and then interact with it almost entirely through
e-mails.

Just a note on that bit, the plaintext version of those e-mails isn't so
great right now, it's not properly wrapped, contains random spacing and
the occasional html. I subscribed myself to receive all notifications
and will try to tweak the discourse e-mail code for those of us who use
mutt or other text-based clients.

Anyway, please feel free to post your questions over there, share
stories on what you're doing with LXC/LXD/LXCFS, ...

We just ask that bug reports remain on Github. If a support question
turns out to be a bug, we'll file one for you on Github or ask for you
to go file one there (similar to what we've been doing on this list).

Hope this is a useful addition to our community!

Stéphane