[lxc-users] Error while trying to create/start unprivilege containers/ Bug report ?

Fajar A. Nugraha list at fajar.net
Fri May 13 21:49:53 UTC 2016

On Sat, May 14, 2016 at 4:29 AM, Fajar A. Nugraha <list at fajar.net> wrote:

> On Fri, May 13, 2016 at 9:30 PM, Rémy Dernat <remy.d1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Fajar,
>>
>> Thank you for your detailed answer. However, I searched a solution a
>> little bit today, and I am still stuck.
>>
>> For "userpace", I meant "userspace", of course. Sorry for mistyped.
>>

>> Here are what I checked:
>>
>> LXC tests in userspace
>>
>> 1. [VirtualBox] Fresh Ubuntu 14.04.2 server amd64
>>     creation OK, starting not OK
>>     without cgmanager, with libpam-systemd
>>

> Don't bother with older version (e.g. 14.04.2). Lxc is a fast moving
> target
>

> The presence of libpam-systemd suggests you still use lxc-1.x. I'd suggest
> NOT to use that if you intend to use unpriv containers. To be accurate, it
> should work fine for privileged containers (i.e. created and started by
> root). But for unpriv containers, you'd need lxcfs (and probably some other
> manual setup)
>
> Stick with the ppa for 14.04, and use lxc-2. If you still have
> libpam-systemd installed, remove it.

To clarify:
- use latest minor version if you need 14.04 (e.g. 14.04.4, and run apt-get
update && apt-get upgrade afterwards)
- uninstall any remains of cgmanager (libcgmanager0 is fine though, don't
uninstall it) or libpam-systemd
- use https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-lxc/+archive/ubuntu/lxc-stable ,
install lxc

It IS possible to run unpriv containers with lxc-1.x, but in my experience
it requires some intervention here and there (like "chmod" or "setfacl").
On the other hand, lxc-2.x from ppa simply works.

--
Fajar