[lxc-users] lxc progress and a few questions

Fajar A. Nugraha list at fajar.net
Sun Mar 27 10:24:35 UTC 2016

On Sun, Mar 27, 2016 at 8:11 AM, jjs - mainphrame <jjs at mainphrame.com> wrote:
> As a long time fan of openvz, I'm impressed with how far lxc has come in the
> past couple of years, and particularly impressed with how well lxd "just
> works", particularly with the default unprivileged containers.
>
> I'm looking to put lxd through it's paces, and set up a couple of dedicated
> machines to that end. Obviously Ubuntu 16.04 is going to be the platform for
> this, but beyond that, are specific filesystem layouts recommended for full
> functionality? I've read that btrfs (or zfs) are recommended for optimum
> functionality of certain features.

https://insights.ubuntu.com/2016/02/16/zfs-is-the-fs-for-containers-in-ubuntu-16-04/

ext4 should work, but you'd be missing compression (activated in the
fs, not lxd-specific), quick container creation (with snapshot/clone,
managed my lxd directly), and container disk quota support. Those are
things that comes to mind immediately, there might be others.

> Live container migration is the killer feature for me, but as far as I can
> tell it's not yet possible with any stock distro. Is there a published
> feature list showing which features are already implemented, which are in
> progress, which are not yet started, etc?

https://insights.ubuntu.com/2015/05/06/live-migration-in-lxd/

I suggest you test the latest state yourself, either with latest 16.04
daily build, or 14.04 with relevant ppas.

--
Fajar