[lxc-users] Desktop Environment in LXD

Simos Xenitellis simos.lists at googlemail.com
Fri Jun 17 12:07:34 UTC 2016

On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 1:02 PM, Rahul Rawail <rhlrawail at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have read some  posts in LXC-Users group, honestly we are not very
> proficient with ubuntu or linux itself but we know a bit.
>
> We have been able to start the LXD container but we have a simple
> requirement, if we can run complete linux in an LXD container then why can't
> we bring a GUI desktop for each container if we install desktop environment
> for it, is there a way we can do it for each container.
>
> Our idea is to use LXD container as a VM hence the next logical step with
> which we need your help would be to take each container's desktop to
> multiple clients.
>
> LXD is the choice because its lightest, fastest and secure but going over
> internet through tons of information has seriously messed up everything. We
> hope that by starting a desktop and using it as VM we will not defeat the
> purpose of having a bare metal performance.
>
> If you think there is any other approach to achieve this easily and still
> have bare metal performance the please suggest that as well.

Most modern desktops require hardware acceleration for the driver of
the graphics
card, therefore if you had to use an accelerated desktop, you would need
a graphics card per desktop. It is possible to do this, though it is
not available out of the box.
See, for example,
https://www.stgraber.org/2014/02/09/lxc-1-0-gui-in-containers/ and
https://www.flockport.com/apps/lxc-gui/

Alternatively, if there is no requirement for a dedicated graphics
card (i.e. no hardware accelerated desktop),
it could be possible to run X servers (like "Xnest")
and configure the containers to display the desktop on those
additional displays.
They appear as separate windows on your Ubuntu desktop.
Such a thing should be feasible with distributions like Lubuntu and Xubuntu.
I just tried with Lubuntu and here is a screenshot,
http://i.imgur.com/HqOnwDc.png

Simos