[lxc-users] Download and install trusty-64 unprivileged container cannot start anymore, requires system reboot to work - used to work

Martijn Unknown martijnrvrs at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 6 17:06:20 UTC 2016

Hello Fajar,

> A quick look says both ppa are using 2.0.1, so you should have identical result.

Yeah that's what I expected as well. I only need to switch the use of the ppa and it either works or not.

If I do e.g. lxc-start --version it for both (stable or lts) reports 2.0.1 indeed.

> My GUESS is that your user cgroups (via libpam-cgfs) was not properly
> setup.
Turs out to be a good guess! :)

But there is a difference after all with the installations, dependency wise. Below the packages that are installed/suggested etc. for both (it says LTS / STABLE at the top of each):

**** LTS ****

apt-add-repository ppa:ubuntu-lxc/lxc-lts -y
apt-get update
apt-get install lxc -y

==> default: Reading state information...
==> default: The following extra packages will be installed:
==> default:   bridge-utils cgroup-lite cloud-image-utils debootstrap distro-info
==> default:   distro-info-data dnsmasq-base euca2ools genisoimage libaio1
==> default:   libboost-system1.54.0 libboost-thread1.54.0 liblxc1 libmnl0
==> default:   libnetfilter-conntrack3 libnspr4 libnss3 libnss3-nssdb libpam-cgfs librados2
==> default:   librbd1 libseccomp2 libxslt1.1 lxc-common lxc-templates lxc1 lxcfs
==> default:   python-distro-info python-lxml python-requestbuilder python-setuptools
==> default:   python3-lxc qemu-utils sharutils uidmap
==> default: Suggested packages:
==> default:   shunit2 wodim cdrkit-doc qemu-user-static btrfs-tools lvm2 lxctl
==> default:   python-lxml-dbg
==> default: The following NEW packages will be installed:
==> default:   bridge-utils cgroup-lite cloud-image-utils debootstrap distro-info
==> default:   distro-info-data dnsmasq-base euca2ools genisoimage libaio1
==> default:   libboost-system1.54.0 libboost-thread1.54.0 liblxc1 libmnl0
==> default:   libnetfilter-conntrack3 libnspr4 libnss3 libnss3-nssdb libpam-cgfs librados2
==> default:   librbd1 libseccomp2 libxslt1.1 lxc lxc-common lxc-templates lxc1 lxcfs
==> default:   python-distro-info python-lxml python-requestbuilder python-setuptools
==> default:   python3-lxc qemu-utils sharutils uidmap

*** STABLE ***

apt-add-repository ppa:ubuntu-lxc/lxc-stable -y
apt-get update
apt-get install lxc -y

==> default: The following extra packages will be installed:
==> default:   bridge-utils cgroup-lite cloud-image-utils debootstrap distro-info
==> default:   distro-info-data dnsmasq-base euca2ools genisoimage libaio1
==> default:   libboost-system1.54.0 libboost-thread1.54.0 liblxc1 libmnl0
==> default:   libnetfilter-conntrack3 libnspr4 libnss3 libnss3-nssdb librados2 librbd1
==> default:   libseccomp2 libxslt1.1 lxc-common lxc-templates lxc1 lxcfs
==> default:   python-distro-info python-lxml python-requestbuilder python-setuptools
==> default:   python3-lxc qemu-utils sharutils uidmap
==> default: Suggested packages:
==> default:   shunit2 wodim cdrkit-doc qemu-user-static btrfs-tools lvm2 lxctl
==> default:   python-lxml-dbg
==> default: Recommended packages:
==> default:   libpam-cgfs
==> default: The following NEW packages will be installed:
==> default:   bridge-utils cgroup-lite cloud-image-utils debootstrap distro-info
==> default:   distro-info-data dnsmasq-base euca2ools genisoimage libaio1
==> default:   libboost-system1.54.0 libboost-thread1.54.0 liblxc1 libmnl0
==> default:   libnetfilter-conntrack3 libnspr4 libnss3 libnss3-nssdb librados2 librbd1
==> default:   libseccomp2 libxslt1.1 lxc lxc-common lxc-templates lxc1 lxcfs
==> default:   python-distro-info python-lxml python-requestbuilder python-setuptools
==> default:   python3-lxc qemu-utils sharutils uidmap

As you can see, dependencies are different of what is installed and what is not for both. At least libpam-cgfs is not installed for stable (anymore?), which causes the issue I have. I can't install it separately either that fails.

If both are supposed to be exactly the same atm, this should not be the case perhaps?

Thanks,
Martijn