[lxc-users] In LXD/LXC container avahi-daemon fails installation

brian mullan bmullan.mail at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 15:49:52 UTC 2016

I have been trying to figure out why in my LXC container the avahi-daemon
fails.

Because the avahi-daemon fails other apps that have it as a dependency fail
to install also!

This morning I happened to find this post:
https://gist.github.com/jpouellet/c0d0698d669f1f364ab3

The author was encountering the same problem & errors as I have been seeing:

*update-rc.d: warning: start and stop actions are no longer supported;
falling back to defaults
Job for avahi-daemon.service failed because the control process exited
with error code. See "systemctl status avahi-daemon.service" and
"journalctl -xe" for details.
invoke-rc.d: initscript avahi-daemon, action "start" failed.
dpkg: error processing package avahi-daemon (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of libnss-mdns:amd64:
 libnss-mdns:amd64 depends on avahi-daemon (>= 0.6.16-1); however:
  Package avahi-daemon is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing package libnss-mdns:amd64 (--configure):
 dependency problems - leaving unconfigured*

However... the author also had a work around to get avahi to install
successfully in LXC:

*$ sudo -s
# apt-get install avahi-daemon avahi-utils
... bunch of errors ...
# systemctl disable avahi-daemon
# systemctl stop avahi-daemon
# apt-get autoremove
# apt-get install -f avahi-daemon avahi-utils*

I tried his workaround and it did work for me also !

Once avahi installed OK the other programs that had a dependency on avahi
and avahi-daemon could also install correctly such as some of the
pulseaudio related software.

My Host is ubuntu 15.10, my LXC container is Ubuntu 15.10.

As this doesn't happen on my Host ... is this an LXC bug?

$ lxc --version
0.26

thanks
brian