[lxc-users] config scripts for an LXC Ubuntu-Mate desktop

brian mullan bmullan.mail at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 17:23:36 UTC 2016

I just put some scripts/files on github which will create an LXC container
your Host and install Ubuntu-Mate desktop in the container.

I've also utilized PulseAudio's TCP module to redirect any sound/audio from
the cn1 container
to your Host's speakers.

I'm hoping the README file and all the comments I put into the 2 scripts
explain everything.

On the Host there are minimal pre-reqs:

1)  pulseaudio must already be installed
2)  LXD must already be installed
3)  as the access to the LXC Mate desktop is via RDP (xrdp) Its recommended
you install
     xfreerdp to access the desktop instead of rdesktop as its faster &
more reliable & the
     command line is simpler to understand
4) you may need unzip installed to decompress the .zip file you download
from github.

During installation the scripts only make 1 change in the Host and that is
appending 2 lines to the */etc/pulse/system.pa <http://system.pa>* file so
Pulseaudio will load its TCP module on its next restart.

All of that is mentioned in either the README or comments in the scripts or
both.

Installation can take from 20-40 minutes depending on your Host (re ssd vs
hd, cpu type etc).

Once complete & the cn1 container rebooted you can use it.

If you wanted more containers setup like this you can just use LXC
clone/copy the original cn1 container.

I've only tested this on Ubuntu 15.04 and 15.10 so far.

The files can be found at:   https://github.com/bmullan/ciab-lxc-desktop

clipboard, sound & printing (may need to install CUPs and/or ghostscript in
cn1) all work.

Make sure to read anything I marked as "NOTE:".

I did uncover a couple bugs while doing this but I explain them again in
the README and/or in the comments in the scripts.

One was related to Firefox (how it starts from CLI vs Menu) and the other
was with installing the avahi-daemon in a container.

I filed a bug on the Firefox issue but also implemented a work-around for
it in the installation script.

The avahi installation problem I found someone else had hit and they had
posted their work-around on the web... it worked ... so I documented that
also.

Brian