[lxc-users] new lxd user (on Gentoo) - queries about container logging and configuration parameters

Serge Hallyn serge.hallyn at ubuntu.com
Thu Jan 14 19:54:59 UTC 2016

Quoting Pedro Lourenco Venda (pjvenda at gmail.com):
> Hi all,
>
> I've found lxd recently and jumped on it. I've used vserver before but
> this is a different league of simplicity and compatibility with stock
> kernels. Great work indeed, many thanks to the developers and the
> community for supporting and improving this product.

Hi,

> There are a few issues that I couldn't figure out on my own by looking
> on the Internet, so I'm putting them out to the experts:
>
> - One aspect that drew my attention was the fact that running 'dmesg'
> on the containers shows the host's kernel log. This does not look
> right to me, is it a configuration fault on the container or the lxd
> system?

We've tried many times to get syslog namespaces.  Sadly hasn't succeeded
yet.  Really wants kernel support to do this right, and noone has had
the time and persistence to see it through.

> - I've been trying to produce Debian images, but I've found that using
> sysvinit causes the container to start/crash/start in a loop. All I
> see is kernel log messages on the host about the container's bridged

for info about Debian images I'd look at Fajar's excellent site
http://debian-lxc.github.io/

> interface being created, renamed and not being ready, etc, but I can't
> tell whether this is cause or consequence. Is there a way of enabling
> some sort of debug logging in the hope of observing and debugging what
> is happening with the container?

Probably start with the default Ubuntu images.  If those don't work, then
you probably have a lxc or lxd misconfiguration.  If they do work, then
that narrows it down to the image.  But again in either case Fajar's
site will likely have the answer.

> - I've picked up on the tutorial that certain configuration settings
> can be applied to certain containers, either via a profile or directly
> (like the memory limit). However I can't find a list of these
> parameters that could be tweaked - is there such thing available
> somewhere?

https://github.com/lxc/lxd/blob/master/specs/configuration.md

shows the configuration options.  Other files in that directory
are also very helpful, especially command-line-experience.md.