[lxc-users] ubuntu containers on fedora host

Király, István laking at d250.hu
Mon Feb 15 01:20:13 UTC 2016

>> My first suggestion would be "use ubuntu host, it should just work" :)

I use fedora since fedora core 1, and wrote my app, srvctl - with a lot of
code for it, and move familiar within it. Back in my University days,
Gentoo was the most hyped distro, now Ubuntu seems to be, but I'm really
happy with Fedora. Just want to supply my users with the option for ubuntu,
.. .)

>> lxc-start -F
Aha, here it hangs for 120 seconds.

 2016-02-15 01:08:21,909 - url_helper.py[WARNING]: Calling '
http://169.254.169.254/2009-04-04/meta-data/instance-id' failed [50/120s]:
request error [(<urllib3.connectionpool.HTTPConnectionPool object at
0x7fc54b365c10>, 'Connection to 169.254.169.254 timed out. (connect
timeout=50.0)')]
..
2016-02-15 01:09:34,952 - url_helper.py[WARNING]: Calling '
http://10.10.0.1//latest/meta-data/instance-id' failed [3/120s]: bad status
code [503]
..

No idead what metadata is necessary. ...

>> Also, why did you use ubuntu cloud template? The download template
(where you can choose various distros and versions) should be more suitable
for most purposes.

I know you guys work on that a lot, but for me it seems that the templates
are mostly unmaintained, and don't work so well - at least I got the
feeling with using the fedora template for a while ... so I stopped using
them and make the rootfs on my own, by extracting the relevant code from
the templates and integrating the relevant parts to my app.
Didn't check yet for non-cloud versions, as I though that the cloud version
should be exactly what I need, as I run a sort of cloud ... but I see now
there might be some EC2 specific, or openstack specific code in it, that is
less LXC friendly .. I'll take a look at the ubuntu template.

Thank you, for your reply!

On Thu, Feb 11, 2016 at 5:56 AM, Fajar A. Nugraha <list at fajar.net> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 11, 2016 at 6:57 AM, Király, István <laking at d250.hu> wrote:
>
>> Hello list, ...
>>
>> As described I'm running the latest fedora hosts, that is fedora 23
>> (server, 64bit).
>> When starting ubuntu cloud containers, it takes approx 100 seconds to
>> start, compared to fedora containers that only need 2-3 seconds to start.
>> Is there a way to speed that up?
>>

> My first suggestion would be "use ubuntu host, it should just work" :)
>
> Having said that, more details like "what lxc-related packages and
> versions installed" would help, as well as "what you see when you run the
> container in the foreground with 'lxc-start -F'"
>
> Also, why did you use ubuntu cloud template? The download template (where
> you can choose various distros and versions) should be more suitable for
> most purposes.
>
> FWIW, I've run ubuntu trusty containers (using download template) on
> centos6 host (yes, the ancient one, with 2.6.32 kernel)
> with lxc-2.0.0.beta2 (./configure;make rpm). There's some manual
> modifications required, and it's obviously not as secure as on ubuntu host
> (e.g. no apparmor on c6), but at least it works and starts quickly.
>
> --
> Fajar

 Király István
+36 209 753 758