[lxc-users] ubuntu containers on fedora host

Fajar A. Nugraha list at fajar.net
Mon Feb 15 02:49:46 UTC 2016

On Mon, Feb 15, 2016 at 8:20 AM, Király, István <laking at d250.hu> wrote:

> >> My first suggestion would be "use ubuntu host, it should just work" :)
>
> I use fedora since fedora core 1, and wrote my app, srvctl - with a lot of
> code for it, and move familiar within it. Back in my University days,
> Gentoo was the most hyped distro, now Ubuntu seems to be, but I'm really
> happy with Fedora. Just want to supply my users with the option for
> ubuntu, .. .)
>
> >> lxc-start -F
> Aha, here it hangs for 120 seconds.
>
>  2016-02-15 01:08:21,909 - url_helper.py[WARNING]: Calling '
> http://169.254.169.254/2009-04-04/meta-data/instance-id' failed
> [50/120s]: request error [(<urllib3.connectionpool.HTTPConnectionPool
> object at 0x7fc54b365c10>, 'Connection to 169.254.169.254 timed out.
> (connect timeout=50.0)')]
> ..
> 2016-02-15 01:09:34,952 - url_helper.py[WARNING]: Calling '
> http://10.10.0.1//latest/meta-data/instance-id' failed [3/120s]: bad
> status code [503]
> ..
>
> No idead what metadata is necessary. ...

That is odd. AFAIK lxc-start shouldn't need to connect to anything. At
least not when I tested using containers created by download template.

What is on the container config file? Perhaps there's a hook that calls
those URLs?

> >> Also, why did you use ubuntu cloud template? The download template
> (where you can choose various distros and versions) should be more suitable
> for most purposes.
>
> I know you guys work on that a lot, but for me it seems that the templates
> are mostly unmaintained, and don't work so well - at least I got the
> feeling with using the fedora template for a while ... so I stopped using
> them and make the rootfs on my own, by extracting the relevant code from
> the templates and integrating the relevant parts to my app.
> Didn't check yet for non-cloud versions, as I though that the cloud
> version should be exactly what I need, as I run a sort of cloud ... but I
> see now there might be some EC2 specific, or openstack specific code in it,
> that is less LXC friendly .. I'll take a look at the ubuntu template.

Not ubuntu template.

Download template, but then specify parameters to choose whatever
distro/versio you need. Try "/usr/share/lxc/templates/lxc-download --help",
and then specify those parameters to lxc-create after "--" (e.g.
"lxc-create -t download -n blah -- -d ubuntu ...")

--
Fajar