[lxc-users] 1.1.4 update does not install new configs

Fajar A. Nugraha list at fajar.net
Mon Oct 12 05:24:26 UTC 2015

On Mon, Oct 12, 2015 at 10:23 AM, Fajar A. Nugraha <list at fajar.net> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 12, 2015 at 8:05 AM, Andrey Repin <anrdaemon at yandex.ru> wrote:
>> Greetings, Stéphane Graber!

>>> That's normal and isn't an error nor will it ever be in the 1.1 release.
>>
>> I understand it is not an error, but I would expect a distributed
>> configuration files free of warnings of such nature.

To make it more clear: you will not get the warning if you install a
new container after 1.1.x is installed.

You will only get the warning if you had containers created using old
version of lxc, and then upgrade lxc.

> Converting the old style config (e.g. ones that still have lots of
> "lxc.cgroup.devices.allow" lines) to new ones is not a trivial task.

It should read "Converting the old style config AUTOMATICALLY using a
script during lxc upgrade is not a trivial task

> Note that as a user you could always convert them manually. It should
> take only several minutes to read and convert each container's config.

... however converting them manually is easy enough. The hardest part
of automating the task should be determining which old config lines
are safe to be replaced with an "lxc.include", as you might have local
customizations in place. That should not be an issue if you convert
them manually (assuming, of course, you still remember what
customizations you made).

Here's a typical ubuntu container config:

lxc.include = /usr/share/lxc/config/ubuntu.common.conf
lxc.arch = x86_64
lxc.rootfs = /var/lib/lxc/vivid/rootfs
lxc.utsname = vivid
lxc.network.type = veth
lxc.network.link = lxcbr0
lxc.network.flags = up
lxc.network.hwaddr = 00:16:3e:55:1c:98
lxc.start.auto = 1

Assuming you ALSO have lxcfs installed (which you can ommit, if you
want) the above 9 lines should be enough to run privileged
systemd-based containers (like ubuntu vivid). Without lxcfs, you can
NOT run systemd-based containers.

Typically you'd only need to change three lines for different ubuntu
containers: lxc.rootfs, lxc.utsname, and lxc.network.hwaddr. If you
use different distro (e.g. debian, or fedora), you'd also need to
change lxc.include line.

--
Fajar