[lxc-users] 1.1.4 update does not install new configs

Andrey Repin anrdaemon at yandex.ru
Mon Oct 12 11:41:06 UTC 2015

Greetings, Fajar A. Nugraha!

>>> I understand it is not an error, but I would expect a distributed
>>> configuration files free of warnings of such nature.

> To make it more clear: you will not get the warning if you install a
> new container after 1.1.x is installed.

> You will only get the warning if you had containers created using old
> version of lxc, and then upgrade lxc.

To make it more clear,

# for i in /home/.lxc/*; do test -d "$i" && grep -E "pivotdir" $i/config; done
# grep -RE "pivotdir" /usr/share/lxc/config/
/usr/share/lxc/config/common.conf:lxc.pivotdir = lxc_putold

Or do I need to make it absolutely clear?...

>> Converting the old style config (e.g. ones that still have lots of
>> "lxc.cgroup.devices.allow" lines) to new ones is not a trivial task.

> It should read "Converting the old style config AUTOMATICALLY using a
> script during lxc upgrade is not a trivial task

This is not "old style configs" this is a "distributed base configuration
files".
They must be replaced on upgrade, if unaltered (and they aren't).

>> Note that as a user you could always convert them manually. It should
>> take only several minutes to read and convert each container's config.

> ... however converting them manually is easy enough.

However, I see no reason, why would I touch distributed configuration?
It is maintainer's responsibility to distribute sane defaults.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...