[lxc-users] 1.1.4 update does not install new configs

Fajar A. Nugraha list at fajar.net
Mon Oct 12 03:23:52 UTC 2015

On Mon, Oct 12, 2015 at 8:05 AM, Andrey Repin <anrdaemon at yandex.ru> wrote:
> Greetings, Stéphane Graber!
>
>>> The 1.1.4 update did not install nes shared configs, resulting in
>>>
>>> lxc-start 1444586479.188 WARN     lxc_confile - confile.c:config_pivotdir:1801 - lxc.pivotdir is ignored.  It will soon become an error.
>>>
>>> Ubuntu 12.04 "Precise"
>>> LXC is from Ubuntu "lxc-stable" PPA.
>
>> That's normal and isn't an error nor will it ever be in the 1.1 release.
>
> I understand it is not an error, but I would expect a distributed
> configuration files free of warnings of such nature.

That would probably be true if it were a supported part of the distro.
However ubuntu precise comes with lxc-0.7.5, and will never have a
supported version of lxc-1.1.x. AFAIK ppa in general are not supported
by ubuntu/canonical. While the devs would generally respond to bug
reports, you can't expect the same level of support and testing that
software in "Main" repository have.

That being said, IIRC there are lots of changes in the way lxc
configuration files are setup from 0.7.x to 1.1.x. For example, 1.1.x
would generate container configuration files that includes snippets
(e.g. "lxc.include = /usr/share/lxc/config/ubuntu.common.conf"), so
that it is easier to read (new config files can contain less than 10
lines for a functional container, excluding comments and blank lines).
Converting the old style config (e.g. ones that still have lots of
"lxc.cgroup.devices.allow" lines) to new ones is not a trivial task.
So I can certainly understand the devs' decision to simply leave it as
it is.

Note that as a user you could always convert them manually. It should
take only several minutes to read and convert each container's config.

--
Fajar