[lxc-users] Ubuntu container IP address

Fajar A. Nugraha list at fajar.net
Thu Nov 19 22:43:48 UTC 2015

On Fri, Nov 20, 2015 at 5:04 AM, Robert Koretsky <bobk48 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Guido et al:
> Another suggestion I got from the Ubuntu Forums on virtualisation gave me
> a single line that could be added to the iptables configuration( and also
> some other alternate ways of using and configuring ufw) to achieve a "port
> forwarding" of a port of interest, like 22, to the container IP 10.0.3.1
> from my host IP 192.168.0.6. I am going to try this one-line iptables
> method, see if it works. More importantly, once my container can be ssh'ed
> to from my home network, will my host still be reachable. Other than that,
> I'm not sure what else to do.

How about reading replies of your mail in the other thread you created?

I'm going to assume it's because somehow you didn't get the replies in your
inbox, so I CC your mail as well here.

> Believe me, other suggested solutions were either 100-line long bash
> scripts plus dozens of changes and package downloads, or were completely
> off base.

You obviously haven't read Ubuntu's lxc documentation. Nor Ubuntu's network
bridge documentation (
https://help.ubuntu.com/lts/serverguide/network-configuration.html#bridging),
which is also linked on lxc documentation page.

It's NOT 100-line long script. And the required bridge packages is already
installed when you install lxc.

Again, can anyone tell me why lxcbr0 is configured to start with an IP of
> 10.0.3.1?

The same reason why virtualbox uses NAT networking for VMs by default.

> My Ubuntu 15.10 Desktop machine, which has a container, gets its IP via
> DHCP from a router.

Assuming you've read the docs, bridging should work.

The exception is if your desktop connects to LAN via wifi, in which case
bridging will NOT work.

--
Fajar