[lxc-users] Converting from libvirt lxc

Peter Steele pwsteele at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 21:40:25 UTC 2015

On 12/03/2015 11:27 AM, Neil Greenwood wrote:
> On 3 December 2015 17:10:29 GMT+00:00, Peter Steele <pwsteele at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I can't really use the downloaded template for our rootfs, as I
>> explained earlier. We already have a process that generates a custom
>> centos tar ball with the specific set of packages that we need in our
>> containers. Our tarball includes other third party packages as well,
>> such as supervisord and ctdb. I've used the downloaded template's
>> config
> I am not an expert with LXC, but I think you can get your tarball working using '-t download' a.k.a. the download template. You would use petercentos rather centos as the template to download, and provide a petercentos configuration that points to your tarball. Obviously you will use your company name in the production version :-)
>
> Neil
That's where I'd like to get to eventually. That said, since this is all
part of an automated process and no one actually runs lxc-create
interactively (it's all done in Python scripts), it doesn't really
matter if our custom tar ball gets installed as an official formal
template. The lxc-create command works quite well using "none" for the
template, as long as the rootfs is put in place through some other
means. Since we're transitioning from libvirt to LXC and need to keep
both frameworks in play for a while, it's easier in our code to install
rootfs explicitly rather than having lxc-create do it.

Peter