[lxc-users] running quagga on linux containers

durga c.vijaya.durga at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 02:32:26 UTC 2014

hello All,

I am kind of new to linux networking, so please bear with me.
All I am trying to do is configure two linux containers  to run quagga
routing engine.

My inital setup was:

lxc1 eth0(10.0.3.x) <—> lxcbr0(10.0.3.1) <—>(10.0.3.y)eth0 lxc2.

both lxc1 and lxc2 are running quagga and ospf running on both the
inerfaces.
Since lxcbr0 is  a bridge - i was not expecting any issues. But it turned
out otherwise.

With help of wireshark, it turns out the multicast packets (neighbour
relation -hello packets ) don't really cross over the bridge . Hence, no
OSPF neighbour relation formed.

As a trail and error method - I configured another pair of interfaces on
the containers. so the second setup is

lxc1 eth0(10.0.3.x) <—> lxcbr0(10.0.3.1) <—>(10.0.3.y)eth0 lxc2.
…….eth1(8.8.8.x) <—>  lxcbr0(10.0.3.1) <—> (8.8.8.y) eth1 lxc2

then , I ran ospf on these interfaces eth1 and neighbour relation was
successful.

I am now quite confused and trying to understand how lxcbr0 works. I dont
want to believe that it has anything to do with IP addresses as bridge is a
L2 device. Nor its an issue with multicast packets, otherwise OSPF should
not work on any of the interfaces.

Also, I have made no other updates to any of the configurations - except to
change the config files of each lxc to reflect eth1.

Any help or clarifications would help me progress onto next task. Its hard
to progress unless i get this clarified.

Cheers!
Durga