[lxc-users] Service fails to start due PID checking

Fajar A. Nugraha list at fajar.net
Thu Jul 10 00:49:33 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 5:35 AM, Jimmy Thrasibule <
jimmy.thrasibule at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm using LXC to run multiple Debian instances. For virtualization, we
> would call that host an hypervisor.

no, hypervisor is a different kind of virtualization. we simply call it
"host"

> So I'm running a Debian Wheezy hypervisor with many Debian Wheezy LXC
> guests. It happens that I'd like to run the same services on both the
> hypervisor and the guests.

host and container.

> In this case, nullmailer [1]. It turns that the init script provided
> by the package is looking for any running instances before starting
> the proccess:
>
>     PIDS=`pidof nullmailer-send`
>
> Since the hypervisor is also seeing the PIDs from the guests, the
> service is not launched.
>
> Question, how to solve this kind of issues? Can I hide guests PIDs
> from the hypervisor (and see them when needed)?

Not that I know of.

Have you read https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=687827 ?
The patch to nullmailer's init script there should work. I think it simply
uses pid file instead of pidof.

--
Fajar