[lxc-users] Service fails to start due PID checking

Jimmy Thrasibule jimmy.thrasibule at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 22:35:36 UTC 2014

Hi,

I'm using LXC to run multiple Debian instances. For virtualization, we
would call that host an hypervisor.

So I'm running a Debian Wheezy hypervisor with many Debian Wheezy LXC
guests. It happens that I'd like to run the same services on both the
hypervisor and the guests.

In this case, nullmailer [1]. It turns that the init script provided
by the package is looking for any running instances before starting
the proccess:

    PIDS=`pidof nullmailer-send`

Since the hypervisor is also seeing the PIDs from the guests, the
service is not launched.

Question, how to solve this kind of issues? Can I hide guests PIDs
from the hypervisor (and see them when needed)?

[1] http://untroubled.org/nullmailer/

Thanks for your help,
Jimmy