[lxc-users] lxc-create for ubuntu container fails in Fedora 20

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Wed Jul 2 17:11:51 UTC 2014

On Wed, 2014-07-02 at 10:07 +0530, Ajith Adapa wrote:
> Hi,

> I am trying to create a ubuntu container in Fedora 20 host and it
> fails as shown below

> # lxc-create -t ubuntu -n ubuntutest
> Checking cache download in /var/cache/lxc/precise/rootfs-amd64 ...
> Installing packages in template: ssh,vim,language-pack-en
> Downloading ubuntu precise minimal ...
> which: no qemu-debootstrap in
> (/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/root/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin)
> I: Keyring file not available at
> /usr/share/keyrings/ubuntu-archive-keyring.gpg; switching to https
> mirror https://mirrors.kernel.org/debian
> I: Retrieving Release
> E: Failed getting release file
> https://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/dists/precise/Release
> lxc_container: container creation template for ubuntutest failed
> lxc_container: Error creating container ubuntutest

I saw that last time I tried to directly create an Ubuntu container on
Fedora 20 myself.

The problem appears to be that debootstrap, on which the Ubuntu template
depends, seems to have recently (sometime in the last 3 months or so)
been broken on Fedora.  I looked at it several weeks ago and it's having
a problem pulling release information from mirrors.kernel.org even when
you specify releases that SHOULD work.  The debootstrap process is
driven by version dependent scripts in /usr/share/debootstrap/scripts
and it's those scripts that are failing to retrieve their respective
release information and hurling chunks.

I don't know if it's some reorganization up at mirrors.kernel.org or if
someone broke something in debootstrap but it's not a problem with the
Ubuntu template.

I haven't tried it yet but I strongly suspect the Debian template will
be similarly broken.  Someone probably needs to open a bugzilla ticket
up at the Fedora Project bugzilla.

> --
> Regards,
> Ajith

Regards,
Mike
--
Michael H. Warfield (AI4NB) | (770) 978-7061 |  mhw at WittsEnd.com