[lxc-users] lxc-create for ubuntu container fails in Fedora 20

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Wed Jul 2 17:27:10 UTC 2014

On Wed, 2014-07-02 at 13:11 -0400, Michael H. Warfield wrote:
> On Wed, 2014-07-02 at 10:07 +0530, Ajith Adapa wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> > I am trying to create a ubuntu container in Fedora 20 host and it
> > fails as shown below
>
> > # lxc-create -t ubuntu -n ubuntutest
> > Checking cache download in /var/cache/lxc/precise/rootfs-amd64 ...
> > Installing packages in template: ssh,vim,language-pack-en
> > Downloading ubuntu precise minimal ...
> > which: no qemu-debootstrap in
> > (/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/root/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin)
> > I: Keyring file not available at
> > /usr/share/keyrings/ubuntu-archive-keyring.gpg; switching to https
> > mirror https://mirrors.kernel.org/debian
> > I: Retrieving Release
> > E: Failed getting release file
> > https://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/dists/precise/Release
> > lxc_container: container creation template for ubuntutest failed
> > lxc_container: Error creating container ubuntutest

> I saw that last time I tried to directly create an Ubuntu container on
> Fedora 20 myself.

> The problem appears to be that debootstrap, on which the Ubuntu template
> depends, seems to have recently (sometime in the last 3 months or so)
> been broken on Fedora.  I looked at it several weeks ago and it's having
> a problem pulling release information from mirrors.kernel.org even when
> you specify releases that SHOULD work.  The debootstrap process is
> driven by version dependent scripts in /usr/share/debootstrap/scripts
> and it's those scripts that are failing to retrieve their respective
> release information and hurling chunks.

> I don't know if it's some reorganization up at mirrors.kernel.org or if
> someone broke something in debootstrap but it's not a problem with the
> Ubuntu template.

Just did a double check on this by running debootstrap by hand for
several revs.

wheezy - worked
sid - worked
raring (Ubuntu) - failed
precise - failed
trusty - failed

[root at hydra ~]# debootstrap raring ./raring-chroot
I: Keyring file not available at /usr/share/keyrings/ubuntu-archive-keyring.gpg; switching to https mirror https://mirrors.kernel.org/debian
I: Retrieving Release
E: Failed getting release file https://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/dists/raring/Release
[root at hydra ~]# debootstrap precise ./precise-chroot
I: Keyring file not available at /usr/share/keyrings/ubuntu-archive-keyring.gpg; switching to https mirror https://mirrors.kernel.org/debian
I: Retrieving Release
E: Failed getting release file https://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/dists/precise/Release
[root at hydra mhw]# debootstrap trusty ./trusty-chroot
I: Keyring file not available at /usr/share/keyrings/ubuntu-archive-keyring.gpg; switching to https mirror https://mirrors.kernel.org/debian
I: Retrieving Release
E: Failed getting release file https://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/dists/trusty/Release

I think that's pretty clearly a problem in some of the debootstrap
version scripts running on Fedora 20 against the URLs at
mirrors.kernel.org.

> I haven't tried it yet but I strongly suspect the Debian template will
> be similarly broken.  Someone probably needs to open a bugzilla ticket
> up at the Fedora Project bugzilla.
>
> > --
> > Regards,
> > Ajith

Regards,
Mike
--
Michael H. Warfield (AI4NB) | (770) 978-7061 |  mhw at WittsEnd.com