[Lxc-users] Docker

Bretton Woods woods.bretton at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jul 26 19:39:04 UTC 2013

Yeah I agree docker is just a wrapper but that one element does actually make a world of difference.

I think docker should continue with a higher level of abstraction to make containers like vapour in a cloud.

My opinion is that something like the below is a really essential part of the jigsaw for LXC and some of the other parts of Docker I don't really want.

lxc-create --pull git -n name

>lxc-clone --push git -n name
>

>When I saw docker it was just one of those Eureka moments where you question why are we stuck with a closed amount of templates? Why not a url ?
>It reminds me of LTSP where the template scripts where always problematic as each distro was forced with their maintenance.
>

>There are two things I am certain about one is the above and also like Docker.IO LXC needs a home LXC-Planet for want of a better name.
>

>I am a big fan of adaptations of social media and as a consultant and not a programmer I have been frustrated not to be able to find a good social collaboration site.
>I am also a big fan of Eric Redmond  http://www.catb.org/esr/writings/homesteading/homesteading/ar01s06.html
>

>"The simplest way is the command hierarchy. In command hierarchies, scarce goods are allocated by one central authority and backed up by force. Command hierarchies scale very poorly [Mal]; they become increasingly brutal and inefficient as they get larger. For this reason, command hierarchies above the size of an extended family are almost always parasites on a larger economy of a different type. In command hierarchies, social status is primarily determined by access to coercive power."

Dunno if anybody has had any dealings with oxwall.org and I apologise but I believe in unstructured peer review meritocracies for the purpose of social collaboration.
One day I will think of a snappier name :) but oxwall.org would be a good base to do something like that.
Its missing a googlesque voting mechanism on contribution, but one day ;)

I do think an LXC-Planet would be good for a collection of idea's submissions of poly-distro acceptance.

Bretton.