[Lxc-users] Docker

Robin Monjo robin.monjo at applidget.com
Fri Jul 26 18:26:51 UTC 2013

Actually, docker and LXC are two difference projects maintained by two different groups of people. So it has not "moved" to docker.

I have studied docker source code, and there is nothing they do you can't do using LXC and basic bash commands (except for their repository). You can think about docker as a wrapper of LXC serving the purpose of process isolation for the cloud computing world.

Both LXC and docker have different end goals so it's hard to compare them. One thing: docker doesn't use template explicitly but images pulled by docker are basically images created by a LXC template. So docker replaced lxc-create (that generate an OS)  by docker pull (that go get an OS over the network)