[Lxc-users] [LXC] loop module in ubuntu template

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Thu Jan 10 17:33:36 UTC 2013

On Thu, 2013-01-10 at 17:46 +0100, Papp Tamas wrote:
> On 01/10/2013 05:36 PM, Sujay M wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have created a container vm0 using the ubuntu template. I want to use /mnt/sdb1/ as loopback
> > storage. so if i try to mount it i'm getting
> >
> > root at vm0:~# mount /mnt/sdb1/
> > mount: Could not find any loop device. Maybe this kernel does not know
> >         about the loop device? (If so, recompile or `modprobe loop'.)
> >
> > root at vm0:~# modprobe loop
> > FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/3.2.0-23-generic/modules.dep: No such file or directory
> >
> > How can i overcome this problem? Please help. Thanks in advance.
>

> Please do not crosspost.

Now now...  Not so fast.  Not so general.

There are times when cross posting can be appropriate (not saying this
one was and not saying this one was not).  Not all of the developers
monitor the users list (and the -users list was created at my suggestion
to Daniel a long time ago when we only HAD the -devel list and we needed
a place for users to correspond without distracting the devs too much).
I do participate in both and I've seen a couple of times when someone
has posted here and they don't get an answer but the same question
posted later on the -devel list gets prompt replies because Serge or
Daniel or someone else over there had more information and they hadn't
been paying (as much) attention to the -users list.

Not too long ago, I posted a message that had to go to three different
major mailing lists (lxc-devel, systemd, and fedora) but I needed input
from that union of subscribers to getting systemd working on fedora
under lxc.  We now have the systemd issues (largely) resolved (we're
discussion some patches I've created for 0.9.0 over on the -devel list
now) as a result of that.  There are times when it is appropriate but
you need to do so with caution and understanding.

Templates are of appropriate interest to the general user population but
this problem could require some input from the devs, especially if it
means something needs to be changed.  There was a recent one asking
about what was and appropriate kernel level and that got no responses
here but some good comments from Serge over on the -devel list.  Not
every message should be cross posted but a blanked prohibition on cross
posting is equally not advisable.

Regards,
Mike