[Lxc-users] LXC container templates

TuxRaiderPen tuxraiderpen at wpascanner.com
Thu Sep 6 18:01:44 UTC 2012

On Wednesday, September 05, 2012 18:48:55 Matthew Franz wrote:
> So even though I think creating role-specific templates is a flawed

Why? Is not the goal of a template ease and speed to set up new containers?

A LAMP server is a pretty basic generic server that  a lot of users would
want.

Modify

TZ
Locale
hostname
etc..

versus getting the bland basic ubuntu container

having to EITHER

learn some other program to install all the LAMP stuff, modify etc..

Once one person does this, its pretty much set a few things need to be changed
install to install.

> approach new templates are not hard, just modify the existing lxc-ubuntu
> script with whatever commands need to be run in your environment or
> packages you need to install

I did, but this seems like such a no brainer to have this sort of template
ready for others to lxc-create -t LAMPServer

And maybe they need to tweak a few things here and there, but certainly don't
have to

tasksel, LAMP Server

This pretty much solidifies that my view and the mainstream view on container
templates is not the same and likely never would be... This doesn't surprise
me as whats included in the base KUbunutu ISO is always lacking about 2 pages
basically a front back of 8.5"x11" paper of packages in two columns.

Example the basic ubuntu template lacks wget, ftp, screen, telnet! REALLY? ?
These are basic tools to do things.. Along with missing options for PERL to
make use of the CPAN module system...