[Lxc-users] LXC container templates

Matthew Franz mdfranz at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 22:48:55 UTC 2012

So even though I think creating role-specific templates is a flawed
approach new templates are not hard, just modify the existing lxc-ubuntu
script with whatever commands need to be run in your environment or
packages you need to install

For example this new template created containers that already had Salt
Stack installed

root at mfranz-x60s:/usr/lib/lxc/templates# diff lxc-ubuntu lxc-ubuntu-salt
1c1
< #!/bin/bash
---
> #!/bin/bash -vex
463d462
<             chroot $rootfs apt-get install --force-yes -y
python-software-properties
509a509,514

>     # Add Salt
>     chroot $rootfs apt-get install --force-yes -y
python-software-properties
>     chroot $rootfs add-apt-repository -y ppa:saltstack/salt
>     chroot $rootfs apt-get update
>     chroot $rootfs apt-get install -y salt-minion

Which would start with something like

# lxc-create -n salt8 -t ubuntu-salt

You really aren't creating tarballs (the way you do it with OpenVZ) but
modifying the shell script that creates the template and the package cache.

For what it is worth....

- mdf

Matthew Franz / @seclectech
mdfranz at gmail.com