[Lxc-users] Converting existing CentOS 6.x to container within Ubuntu 12.04 - can that be simple?

Whit Blauvelt whit at transpect.com
Sat Oct 27 18:36:23 UTC 2012

Hi,

I'd welcome advice on whether there's a sane, relatively simple way to take
a backup copy of a CentOS 6 system, which happens to be sitting on a
partition on a Ubuntu 12.04 VMware VM, and set it up to run in a container
there. It's been a year since I've done anything with LXC. I see that it's
been nicely streamlined in Ubuntu 12.04. Googling for pointers to answer my
current question, I'm mostly seeing older discussion of older Ubuntu and
CentOS versions, which I expect partially doesn't apply now.

I have this notion that it might be simple indeed to set this up. But that
notion is admittedly foggy. If it is simple, is there a guide to this sort
of thing somewhere? I see a template for a fresh CentOS 6 guest here on the
list I could try, but if there's a way to more directly just use the already
configured backup rather than build a fresh instance that would be even
better.

Thanks,
Whit