[Lxc-users] Converting existing CentOS 6.x to container within Ubuntu 12.04 - can that be simple?

Fajar A. Nugraha list at fajar.net
Sun Oct 28 09:50:07 UTC 2012

On Sun, Oct 28, 2012 at 1:36 AM, Whit Blauvelt <whit at transpect.com> wrote:

> I have this notion that it might be simple indeed to set this up.

Sure it is. Well, kindof :)

> But that
> notion is admittedly foggy. If it is simple, is there a guide to this sort
> of thing somewhere? I see a template for a fresh CentOS 6 guest here on the
> list I could try, but if there's a way to more directly just use the already
> configured backup rather than build a fresh instance that would be even
> better.

Did your search brought you to
http://wiki.1tux.org/wiki/Lxc/Installation/Guest/Centos/6 ? :D

If yes, that guide assumes you have a "working" centos 6 setup
already, in the form of one created using "yum install --installroot".
You could change that to "a filesystem-level backup of a working
centos installation", and pretty much do the same modifications. In
particular, lxc-sysinit.conf and fstab.

There might be other modifcations required (I forgot which ones, try
looking at http://wiki.1tux.org/wiki/Centos6/Installation/Minimal_installation_using_yum#Post-install_configuration
and see which ones is relevant), just try it and see how it goes.

As usual, create backups before you modify anything. Just in case.

--
Fajar