[Lxc-users] making container rebootable

Guido Jäkel G.Jaekel at DNB.DE
Thu Nov 22 19:12:37 UTC 2012

On 2012-11-22 15:19, Евгений Пермяков wrote:
> oHello!
> I'm running kubuntu 12.04 as host (and I'm not going to upgrade it for 1
> year at the very least).
> I was able to successfully create and run container with gentoo (in
> fact, two of them). They start up and runs just find. However, I'm
> unable to shut them down with `/etc/init.d/lxc` stop or with `halt` from
> within. As result not only I have to hand-manage this containers, but I
> also cannot shutdown my host properly without hand-halting of said
> containers.
>
> The problem is that my hand-debootstrapped ubuntu 12.04 guest reboots
> flawlesly...
>
> Where I should dig to find the root of the problem?

Dear Jewgeni,

I'm using Gentoo for host and clients, both. Is your Gentoo already using the openrc Init framework or still the SystemV style? With the old one, i had to manipulate the /etc/init.d/halt script (and more).

If you want to throw SIGPWR against the clients init on the host to halt the container, please add

	# 20110419/gj   allow to halt by sendig a SIGPWR to init
	pf:12345:powerwait:/sbin/halt

to the /etc/inittab of the container.

I may take a look on your problem, but i need more information. You may send me client console logs and lxc logs using  'lxc-stop [...] -l DEBUG -o "container.log" -c "container.out"'. Send it directly to me instead to the list.

greetings

Guido