[Lxc-users] cachefilesd

Jan-Aage Frydenbø-Bruvoll jan at architechs.eu
Wed Feb 15 18:17:26 UTC 2012

Hi Gary,

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 17:59, Gary Ballantyne
<gary.ballantyne at haulashore.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Does anyone have experience with cachefilesd they can share?

This is not LXC specific, and not really what you're asking; however I
have been trying to limit load on my NFS server by using cachefilesd.
To my experience, things do not work as they should - cachefilesd will
consistently sit on CPU consuming 100% of a core, as soon as the
filesystem allocation limit has been reached, and I have had huge
problems with kernel panics whose stack traces look like they have to
do with this - and which have disappeared after getting rid of
cachefs. This problem has been consistent in a variety of kernels,
from XCP's standard CentoOS-based kernel, via various Ubuntu kernels
(10.04 and newer), to hand compiled Gentoo kernels versions 2.6.38,
.39 and 3.1.6.

So all in all I'd steer clear of the whole thing - I for one have
wasted too many hundred hours on this.

Best regards
Jan