[Lxc-users] Control panel

Stuart Johnson stuart at stu.org.uk
Wed Mar 16 15:50:04 UTC 2011

On 16/03/11 15:18, matthew byers wrote:
> This is a great start as i have heard many folks inquire about this
> for lxc. I dont know if you all are familiar with something called
> Proxmox (debian with openvz kernel for openvz and kvm containers) but
> it has a great web browser based control panel that is accessed via
> the server ip address. The panel has some functions such as:
> 1. Start/stop/restart containers (as discussed already)
> 2. VNC into a container
> 3. Creation/destruction of containers
> 4.manage container resources (RAM, hdd size, container ip, dns, etc)
>
> Im not sure with the resource management as we use cgroups but i just
> wanted to throw out some ideas on it.

I have recently been evaluating Proxmox, and it's near perfect for what
I need. But it has a major drawback, in that it does not have LXC
support yet, and requires a customised kernel for OpenVZ.  In fact it's
a customised distro, which is fine if your installing it on your own
hardware, but a bit of a problem installing it at a datacentre on
someone else's machine.

When I thought about it, all I needed was a recent distro (debian or
whatever), and a simple GUI.  SSH into the box, install LXC, and the
network bridge. Start an ncurses app, and start creating & managing
containers.  Job done.

Stuart.