[Lxc-users] Control panel

matthew byers faintstlsaint at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 16:01:21 UTC 2011

Oh i wasnt suggesting switching to proxmox, i was speaking mostly on the
control panel it uses and some of the stuff that can be incorporated into
this lxc panel. i used proxmox before too and i highly enjoy it but i am
unable to use my extra drives in my server unless i setup lvm which i dont
want.

On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 9:50 AM, Stuart Johnson <stuart at stu.org.uk> wrote:

> On 16/03/11 15:18, matthew byers wrote:
> > This is a great start as i have heard many folks inquire about this
> > for lxc. I dont know if you all are familiar with something called
> > Proxmox (debian with openvz kernel for openvz and kvm containers) but
> > it has a great web browser based control panel that is accessed via
> > the server ip address. The panel has some functions such as:
> > 1. Start/stop/restart containers (as discussed already)
> > 2. VNC into a container
> > 3. Creation/destruction of containers
> > 4.manage container resources (RAM, hdd size, container ip, dns, etc)
> >
> > Im not sure with the resource management as we use cgroups but i just
> > wanted to throw out some ideas on it.
>
> I have recently been evaluating Proxmox, and it's near perfect for what
> I need. But it has a major drawback, in that it does not have LXC
> support yet, and requires a customised kernel for OpenVZ.  In fact it's
> a customised distro, which is fine if your installing it on your own
> hardware, but a bit of a problem installing it at a datacentre on
> someone else's machine.
>
> When I thought about it, all I needed was a recent distro (debian or
> whatever), and a simple GUI.  SSH into the box, install LXC, and the
> network bridge. Start an ncurses app, and start creating & managing
> containers.  Job done.
>
> Stuart.

God Bless