[Lxc-users] How do I remove udev from upgrade

Mark Moseley moseleymark at gmail.com
Sat Oct 30 16:25:41 UTC 2010

On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 2:45 PM, Mark C. Hawkins
<mhawkins at medalist.com.au> wrote:
> I've got a Lucid (10.04) guest running in a production environment that I
> don't really want to rebuild
>
> After running apt-get upgrade I get errors from the udev package.
>
> From reading other posts I see that udev is not used and that holding the
> package back prevents the problem when doing an upgrade, but does anyone
> have a solution to get rid of the error message if the upgrade was already
> attempted?
>
> Removing udev doesn't work as there are too many packages that depend on
> udev.  is there anyway to remove udev without breaking the other packages or
> some way to remove the error?

I haven't tried to do this for udev myself, but you should check out
the 'equivs' package. You can use it to create a fake udev package and
replace the existing one with that. You'd probably want to create it
with an absurdly high version number or by pinning it in
/etc/apt/preferences, so that it never gets replaced.