[Lxc-users] How do I remove udev from upgrade

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Sat Oct 30 15:46:24 UTC 2010

On Sat, 2010-10-30 at 08:45 +1100, Mark C. Hawkins wrote:

> I've got a Lucid (10.04) guest running in a production environment
> that I don't really want to rebuild
>
> After running apt-get upgrade I get errors from the udev package.
>
> >From reading other posts I see that udev is not used and that holding
> the package back prevents the problem when doing an upgrade, but does
> anyone have a solution to get rid of the error message if the upgrade
> was already attempted?

> Removing udev doesn't work as there are too many packages that depend
> on udev. is there anyway to remove udev without breaking the other
> packages or some way to remove the error?

Simplest thing I found on Fedora is simply add an "exit 0" at the top
of /etc/udev/udev.conf.  When that gets sourced, the startup script
simply exists and udev never starts.  I'm presuming that the same thing
should work on Ubuntu.

Only downsides are that you are carrying and upgrading a package you
will never use and it's an esthetically unappealing hack.  Oh well...

> Regards,
>
> Mark Hawkins
> Partner
>
> Medalist (M) +61 411 471 684
> (P) +613 9702 8713
> (F) +613 9005 2990
> mhawkins at medalist.com.au
>
> "I am a thing that thinks, that is to say, a thing that doubts,
> affrims, denies, understands a few things, is ignorant of many things,
> wills, refrains from willing, and also imagines and senses." - Rene
> Descartes

Regards,
Mike