[Lxc-users] How do I remove udev from upgrade

Daniel Lezcano daniel.lezcano at free.fr
Sat Oct 30 16:39:08 UTC 2010

On 10/30/2010 06:25 PM, Mark Moseley wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 2:45 PM, Mark C. Hawkins
> <mhawkins at medalist.com.au>  wrote:
>> I've got a Lucid (10.04) guest running in a production environment that I
>> don't really want to rebuild
>>
>> After running apt-get upgrade I get errors from the udev package.
>>
>>  From reading other posts I see that udev is not used and that holding the
>> package back prevents the problem when doing an upgrade, but does anyone
>> have a solution to get rid of the error message if the upgrade was already
>> attempted?
>>
>> Removing udev doesn't work as there are too many packages that depend on
>> udev.  is there anyway to remove udev without breaking the other packages or
>> some way to remove the error?
>>

> I haven't tried to do this for udev myself, but you should check out
> the 'equivs' package. You can use it to create a fake udev package and
> replace the existing one with that. You'd probably want to create it
> with an absurdly high version number or by pinning it in
> /etc/apt/preferences, so that it never gets replaced.

I think you can use udev with a 2.6.35 kernel version now.

The cgroup whitelist will prevent udev to create the devices in /dev if
you want, so you don't share the hardware between the host and the
container.

udev will display a lot of "permission denied" with this cgroup but you
can change /etc/udev/udev.conf and set the log level to 0 in order to
mute udev.

I tried yesteday and when pluggin an usb memory stick, the device is
created in both the host and the container and mounted in both too.
If I prevent the device to be created inside the container with the
cgroup whitelist, udev will fail to mount inside the container the
memory stick even accessing the device.

I am not an expert with udev, so maybe I am missing something but IMO we
can keep the udev script running so no more problem with the dist upgrades.

   -- Daniel