[Lxc-users] Running XOrg in a container

Daniel Lezcano daniel.lezcano at free.fr
Mon Aug 23 12:18:00 UTC 2010

On 08/23/2010 01:13 PM, lxc at jelmail.com wrote:

>> With some tweaks that maybe possible, but IMHO it is not adequate.
>> Lxc is not like QEMU/KVM or Virtualbox, the hardware is not virtualized,
>> so you may have conflicts with the differents X server because they will
>> share the same hardware (eg. different resolutions in different
>>
> containers).
>
> It should be adequate for what I want to do. I can already run multiple X
> servers on the host and switch between them (e.g. Alt-F7, Alt-F8). This
> works fine with no problems.

Interesting, do you have any pointer explaining how to setup this ?

> I just want to containerise the separate environments with a view towards
> keeping the host environment as lean and clean as possible. It will make
> for an easier life maintaining the host.
>
> IMHO, using ssh won't work when you need to make use of the 3D graphics
> card.

Ok.

>   I may be wrong here but I believe direct hardware access is the only
> way. I've proved to myself it works outside containers - all I now need is
> to be able to containerise my configuration.

Ok, if running several X server is valid, I think containerize them is
not a problem.

> What's stopping me doing that right now is the inability to configure
> access to /dev/mem which I think the container needs.

Is it possible to copy the content of the host's /dev directory to the
container's /dev ?

eg. cp -a /dev /var/lib/lxc/<name>/rootfs/dev

and then run the container.

Thanks
   -- Daniel