[Lxc-users] Running XOrg in a container

lxc at jelmail.com lxc at jelmail.com
Mon Aug 23 13:01:13 UTC 2010

>>> With some tweaks that maybe possible, but IMHO it is not adequate.
>>> Lxc is not like QEMU/KVM or Virtualbox, the hardware is not virtualized,
>>> so you may have conflicts with the differents X server because they will
>>> share the same hardware (eg. different resolutions in different
>>>
>> containers).
>>
>> It should be adequate for what I want to do. I can already run multiple X
>> servers on the host and switch between them (e.g. Alt-F7, Alt-F8). This
>> works fine with no problems.
>>
>Interesting, do you have any pointer explaining how to setup this ?

Of the top of my head, the below should work, I’ll double check it tonight
though.

Log on to VT1 (Alt-F1)
  $ startx -- vt7

Log on to VT2 (Alt-F2)
  $ startx -- vt8

Access first desktop on vt7 (Alt-F7)
Access second desktop on vt8 (Alt-F8)

>> What's stopping me doing that right now is the inability to configure
>> access to /dev/mem which I think the container needs.
>>

>Is it possible to copy the content of the host's /dev directory to the
>container's /dev ?
>
>eg. cp -a /dev /var/lib/lxc/<name>/rootfs/dev
>
>and then run the container.

I will try that tonight but I think cgroup device allow is needed to make
such device files valid anyway. The problem I have right now is that a
container will not start if either of the following two lines are present
in its configuration file:

lxc.cgroup.devices.allow = c 1:1   rwm  # dev/mem
lxc.cgroup.devices.allow = c 13:63  rwm # dev/input/mice

Is this some restriction imposed by LXC and/or the kernel (i.e. you can’t
have /dev/mem in a cgroup) or is there something else that I am missing ?

It would be good if someone can try adding the above to a working
container’s configuration and confirm whether it stops working. It would be
good to confirm it isn’t due to an error or omission that I have made.

Thanks,
John