[Lxc-users] Running XOrg in a container

lxc at jelmail.com lxc at jelmail.com
Mon Aug 23 11:13:00 UTC 2010

> With some tweaks that maybe possible, but IMHO it is not adequate.
> Lxc is not like QEMU/KVM or Virtualbox, the hardware is not virtualized,
> so you may have conflicts with the differents X server because they will
> share the same hardware (eg. different resolutions in different
containers).

It should be adequate for what I want to do. I can already run multiple X
servers on the host and switch between them (e.g. Alt-F7, Alt-F8). This
works fine with no problems.

I just want to containerise the separate environments with a view towards
keeping the host environment as lean and clean as possible. It will make
for an easier life maintaining the host.

IMHO, using ssh won't work when you need to make use of the 3D graphics
card. I may be wrong here but I believe direct hardware access is the only
way. I've proved to myself it works outside containers - all I now need is
to be able to containerise my configuration.

What's stopping me doing that right now is the inability to configure
access to /dev/mem which I think the container needs.