[lxc-devel] Last minute template addition - universal image based template

Stéphane Graber stgraber at ubuntu.com
Mon Jan 13 23:33:04 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 10:38:32PM +0900, KATOH Yasufumi wrote:
> Hi,

>     in message   "[lxc-devel] Last minute template addition - universal image based	template"
>                   Stéphane Graber-san wrote:
>
> > With all that said, I'll start working on the implementation of this and
> > hope to have the server working with ubuntu and debian images published
> > over the next few days.
> > If any other distro is interested (I very much hope they all will),
> > start by switching to lxc.include for your config, using something
> > similar to what ubuntu is doing, then get in touch with me.
>
> I sent the patch that lxc-plamo supports lxc.include.
>
> Plamo Linux has simple package management system that is use tar and
> (gzip|bzip2|xz). So originally, lxc-plamo works on any other distros
> (including Ubuntu :-).
>
> So we can create root.tar.gz of plamo linux on Ubuntu host. But
> plamo doesn't have the way to updating packages from remote repository
> like apt and yum. So if once we create the cache for creating rootfs
> (using lxc-plamo via lxc-create), we can't updating rootfs. In this
> case, do we set long before "expiry" date?
>
> Is there anything I should do for pre-build image?

Hi,

I've added plamo support to Jenkins and built two initial images. I
still need to hook Jenkins to the public server so you'll probably
only see them in a couple of days.

I went with a 48h expiry date for plamo. Jenkins will typically attempt
a build once a day, so 48h should avoid us expiring an image when
there's no new one around and still force users to re-grab new images
often enough for your use case.

Oh, also. Do you know if there's a North American plamo mirror? Download
speeds from the default location are dreadful from here. It took me
35min to download the 200MB from the ftp site (instead of the expected
30s to a minute)...