[lxc-devel] Running Ubuntu Touch as host OS and Android as Guest os with LXC on the Nexus 10

Stéphane Graber stgraber at ubuntu.com
Tue Dec 10 21:12:44 UTC 2013

On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 10:05:08PM +0100, Mario wrote:
> Hello.
>
> My name is Mario. I'm a computer hobbyist. Recently I've bought the
> nexus 10 tablet. I would like to start a project to virtualize android
> with LXC on top of Ubuntu touch on the nexus 10. Someone has already
> did something like this,as you can see here :
>
> http://code.google.com/p/seek-for-android/wiki/AndroidContainer
>
> btw it used an old version of android.
>
> I know that usually Android run as Host OS and Ubuntu as Guest os,but
> I think that Android is not a secure / powerful OS as Linux. I don't
> want to use it as HOST OS,but only as GUEST. Tell what's your point of
> view,if this project can be done or not and what are the advantages or
> not. Thanks.

That's actually no longer the case. In the very beginning of the Ubuntu
Touch work, Ubuntu was indeed running in a container on top of Android
but we changed that months ago.

Nowadays if you look at a standard Ubuntu Touch installation, you'll
notice it'll boot directly to Ubuntu and then start a minimal Android
system using an LXC container.

I'd recommend doing a standard Ubuntu Touch install and then look into
/var/lib/lxc/android for the Android container.

Running a full Android system on top of Ubuntu Touch should be
relatively easy, all you'd have to do is prevent Unity8 from starting
and use a full fledged version of Android in
/var/lib/lxc/android/system.img instead of our stripped down version.