[lxc-devel] LXC as an alternative to linux-vserver

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Sun Nov 4 00:12:10 UTC 2012

On Sat, 2012-11-03 at 23:51 +0100, Tomas Pospisek wrote:
> On Sat, 03 Nov 2012 "Michael H. Warfield" wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 2012-11-03, Patrick LeBoutillier wrote:
> >
> >> - One of the things we use a lot with linux-vserver is an "enter"
> >>   functionality: from a shell in the host, use the "enter" command
> >>   to get a shell inside a container. This is a variant of the "exec"
> >>   feature, which allows the execution of an arbitrary command inside
> >>   a container from a shell on the host.
> >
> > I believe with recent kernels this works with lxc-attach but could be
> > problematical.  I'm working on development versions right now and it's
> > having problems attaching.  At one point, this feature needed a kernel
> > patch but I was thinking it has been integrated upstream.  Not certain.
>
> I *think* the contrary is the case: lxc-attach capability is neither
> integrated into any current kernels, nor is lxc-attach working with an
> unpatched kernel. I would be very happy to see some evidence to the
> contrary and would be glad to attach it here:
>
>   http://bugs.debian.org/595920

As I said...  I was not certain.  Sad it's still not there yet.

> Wrt the original question I agree with Michael: a missing lxc-attach is
> not *that* problematic as you can work around it with ssh. However if
> lxc-attach actually worked, that would be very yummy.

You are absolutely correct.  If we can't get systemd to play nicely with
console getty's on tty? then we absolutely need this, since their
actions have rendered the lxc-console useless.  My problem was that you
can not depend on ssh for a variety of reason as you are provisioning
containers.  I could get an F17 container provisioned but then I had no
ssh and no consoles.  I was shooting in the dark until Serge worked out
a patch for what I was uncovering.  If you can't get networking up and
running, you can't get ssh up and running and, if you don't have
consoles, you can't begin to debug WHY you don't have networking up and
running.